Wednesday 30 August 2017

Review: True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop (Lonely Hearts Bookshop #2) by Annie Darling







Title: True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop (Lonely Hearts Bookshop #2)
Author: Annie Darling
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication date: August 10th 2017
Page count: 416
Buy The Book: Amazon | Book Depository
Rating: 4/5





Synopsis

It's a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman in possession of a good job, four bossy sisters and a needy cat must also have want of her one true love. Or is it?

Verity Love – Jane Austen fangirl and an introvert in a world of extroverts – is perfectly happy on her own (thank you very much), and her fictional boyfriend Peter is very useful for getting her out of unwanted social events. But when a case of mistaken identity forces her to introduce a perfect stranger as her boyfriend, Verity’s life suddenly becomes much more complicated.

Johnny could also use a fictional girlfriend. Against Verity’s better judgement, he persuades her to partner up for a summer season of weddings, big number birthdays and garden parties, with just one promise - not to fall in love with each other… [Goodreads]

My Thoughts

"You build a relationship on laughing together, discovering new things you never even imagined you might like, Pride and Prejudice for example, and being welcomed into the heart of each other's families. And, say, you find a woman who likes quiet and won't hold your hand and doesn't believe in love...well, when she finally lets you hold her hand, you'll do anything, anything, to persuade her that love can actually be rather wonderful." 

I loved this book - I was completely absorbed from the start all the way to the finish. I was initially interested in this book because of the synopsis (it totally had me at the Pride and Prejudice reference), it seemed to be my kind of book. And I wasn't wrong. It had me hooked right off the first chapter, and I just couldn't put it down.

Verity Love was a character I warmed up to very quickly. Verity is smart, kind and funny - and she is also an introvert. I think Annie Darling did a very good job of explaining the characteristics and challenges that come with being an introvert, and beautifully wove it into Verity's story. What I really appreciated was the glimpses into Verity's journey, and how she came to understand herself, and in turn overcome her obstacles. I really connected to Verity and could empathise with her struggles.

There were many things about Johnny that I loved, one of them being the way he understood Verity and there was this gentleness and ease to him that I admired. But, there were honestly some moments where I was so frustrated with him and was mentally face-palming myself. However, to a certain extent I did understand why it was taking him so much time to get out of the vicious cycle he was stuck in. And I couldn't have been happier when he was able to get himself out.

Verity's loud and crazy family which includes her four sisters were so much fun. There was never a dull moment when they were around, even just the presence of one sister brought with it never-ending chatter and a lot of laughter. I wholehearted cheered Verity and Johnny on throughout, and by the end I had the biggest smile on my face. The ending was beautiful and cute.

I did not realise that this was book two of the Lonely Hearts Bookshop series. However, it is a book that can be read as a standalone. I definitely recommend this book to anyone that enjoys romance and chick-lit. I am very sure that I will be picking up the first book!

One last thing, a song that I think describes Verity's character to an extent is Tori Kelly's 'Dear No One' - the lyrics really do remind me of Verity. 😊 Here's a link to the lyrics if anyone wants to check them out: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/torikelly/dearnoone.html



2 comments:

  1. This series sounds so cute! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute is definitely the word to describe it, totally worth checking out!

      Delete

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.