Tuesday 22 August 2017

Review: Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella







Title: Can You Keep a Secret?
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Publication date: March 2003
Page count: 368
Buy The Book: Amazon | Book Depository
Rating: 3/5








Synopsis

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I've always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company's elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her... [Goodreads]

My Thoughts

This was my first Sophie Kinsella book, and I think I can understand why many people really enjoy her books. 

CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET? had me laughing out loud throughout - it was the kind of humour I've been looking for. This is a perfect summer read (very much rom-com). The main character Emma is definitely an 'irrepressible spirit' as it says in the synopsis - she was a character who had good intentions but made me cringe quite a number of times. However, Emma and her silly antics had me laughing, the type of laughing where you have tears in your eyes, yes LITERALLY! I had to put the book down a few times so I could calm myself down. I even read some of the funny passages out loud to my sister because of how much I loved them. There were moments where I felt Emma's sincerity, and could understand her vulnerability - her insecurities were relatable and very real. There's a whole cast of characters; people at Emma's work, her family and her roommates - there are characters you will love but an equal amount of those you will hate, but it all adds to the fun. All in all, the book was very entertaining, and I may pick up another book by Sophie Kinsella, in particular if I am in need of cheering up or want a good laugh!

Favourite Quotes/Moments

OK, so I don't understand some of the terms they're using. But then I didn't understand most of my GCSE French Oral either, and I still got a B.

I connected with Emma at this moment - it spoke to me so much 😎 (reminded me of my secondary school days).

The plane suddenly drops again, and I give an involuntary shriek. "I don't think we're going to die," he says. "They said it was just turbulence--"
"Of course they did!" I can hear the hysteria in my voice. "They wouldn't exactly say, 'OK, folks, that's it--you're all goners'!"

Loved the turbulence scene! 

“Emma, I'm sorry, I can't help you. This is a disaster. You're completely vulnerable. It's like going into battle in a nightie.”

Battle...in a...nightie...😭😭

“She believes in love and romance. She believes her life is one day going to be transformed into something wonderful and exciting. She has hopes and fears and worries, just like anyone else. Sometimes she feels frightened." He pauses, and adds in a softer voice, "Sometimes she feels unloved. Sometimes she feels she will never gain approval from those people who are most important to her."
💓
(sums up Emma perfectly)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.