Thursday 13 December 2012

What I am reading? {Anthologies I want to read}

Since making the list of anthologies/short stories I wanted to read (2012/2013 edition), I thought I should keep myself updated as well as the blog by recording the progress I make with the list so far. At the moment I have been busy with exams so reading anthologies/short stories is a great way for me to relax after a stressful day of revision.
:
The first anthology I picked up to read is GIRL MEETS BOY:
 
What do guys and girls really think? Twelve of the most dynamic and engaging YA authors writing today team up for this one-of-a-kind collection of "he said/she said" stories-he tells it from the guy's point of view, she tells it from the girl's. These are stories of love and heartbreak. There's the good-looking jock who falls for a dangerous girl, and the flipside, the toxic girl who never learned to be loved; the basketball star and the artistic (and shorter) boy she never knew she wanted; the gay boy looking for love online and the girl who could help make it happen. Each story in this unforgettable collection teaches us that relationships are complicated-because there are two sides to every story. (Goodreads)
 
So far I've read two and a half of the stories in the anthology. One thing that strikes me about the collection was how there is actually diversity within the stories. I haven't come to read the short stories with people of colour yet but the summary for each short story clearly pointed that out for me. I am definitely looking forward to reading those particular stories.
 
The first and second story that I've read are both based on the same relationship but is in the point of view of the boy and then the girl. I think there was some realism to the story especially about insecurities. However, one thing I realised was the cover doesn't reflect what I've read so far. There are more darker notes to this collection and the romance isn't played out massively like I expected. I hope to carry on and see where the other stories take me.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.