Tuesday 8 May 2012

Review of Deception by Lee Nichols

Book Title: Deception
Author: Lee Nichols
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: June 2010
Page Count: 310           



Synopsis:

When Emma Vaile's parents leave on mysterious business trip, it gives her the perfect excuse to be a rebellious teen. Throw some parties, get a tattoo (or maybe just a piercing), and enjoy the first few weeks of her junior year. Then her best friend stops talking to her, the cops crash her party, and Emma finds herself in the hands of a new guardian her college-age "knight in J.Crew armor," Bennett Stern and on a plane to his museum-like mansion in New England. After enrolling at Thatcher Academy, Emma settles in by making friends with the popular legacy crowd. But she can't shake the strange visions that are haunting her. She has memories of Thatcher she can't explain, as if she's returning home to a place she's never been. Emma doesn't trust anyone anymore except maybe Bennett. But he's about to reveal a ghostly secret to Emma. One that will explain the visions . . . and make Emma fear for her life.

Favourite Quote:

“All I know is that I'm in love with you,' he said, almost angrily. 'That the sight of you, the scent of you, the sound of your voice - I can't help myself, I can't stop it, I can't think of anything else. You've made me completely useless.”

Words To Describe The Book:

Actually surprisingly good!

My Thoughts:

When I started reading this book I didn't expect it to be as good as it turned out to be, I thought it would probably be a rather forgetful and quick read (I was being judgemental and stupid). But I have to admit I devoured most of the pages, one by one. The first few chapters didn't particularly grab my attention straight off but it kept me reading, from the beginning there seemed to be a dark and abandoned atmosphere created which held a sense of mystery. As the story unfolds the secrets within the book begin to unravel themselves and you're dragged into the book.

There was also a mystery of the past created by the author which continued to haul the reader in. The main character Emma was likeable because of her personality and kindness but there were times when I felt like screaming and shouting at her for making rash decisions. There were other characters who you really start to like but I would have liked to see more depth and development in them.

When your halfway through the book the excitement begins to build and the concept of ghosts really starts to blossom with new enemies and faces along with a good portion of action. However not forgetting the love element of the book (which there was!) goes down some twisty roads towards the end and had me wanting to bang my head against a wall. Overall, a great read so I suggest you give this book a try!

Rating:
★★★.5

Buy The Book:
Amazon Paperback
Kindle Edition

Next Book:
BETRAYAL












No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.