Monday 9 July 2012

Review: Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Book Title: Saving June
Author: Hannah Harrington
Publisher: Harlequin 
Publication Date: June 1, 2012
Page Count: 336
Buy The Book: Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Synopsis


Your sister is dead. Nineteen songs can tell you why. Only one boy can help you understand.Harper Scott's older sister, June, took her own life a week before high school graduation, leaving Harper devastated. So when her divorcing parents decide to split up June's ashes, Harper steals the urn and takes off cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going-California.Enter Jake Tolan, a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession...and an unknown connection to June. When he insists on joining them, Harper's just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what Harper needs. Except...Jake's keeping a secret that has the power to turn her life upside down again.

Favourite Quotes

“These songs tell me I'm not alone. If you look at it that way, music...music can see you through anything.”  

There is so much beauty in just existing. In being alive. I don't want to miss a second.”  

“Deciding to kiss Jake is like standing on the edge of a pool, staring down and wanting to take the leap, but fearing how cold the water will be.
I hold my breath and jump.” 

Words To Describe The Book

Emotional Roller Coaster

My Thoughts

When I read a book, what really makes me love a book is when I connect with it emotionally. SAVING JUNE did exactly that, it me feel, understand, connect and really believe. Some moments were intense, some were beautiful, some were magical.

SAVING JUNE was a journey, straight from the start of the book there's a purpose, something that guides the characters through the book. A large proportion of the book takes you on a roadtrip, there are the ups and downs, struggles and pains to get through. The main character Harper is going through the loss of her sister, the book really puts into perspective the inner struggle and the coming to terms with her sister's death. Harper is strong minded and stubborn, I really began to like her because of how head strong she actually was, there are moments when her decisions did faze me and I couldn't quite understand why she being a slight bit rash.

SAVING JUNE moves at a steady pace, it holds the reader and keeps you guessing. During the roadtrip you watch strong bonds between characters coming through, you can see characters being built up and developed beautifully and really get a sense of what sort of person they are.

For me I think the music was what gave SAVING JUNE a wow factor, it gave the book depth, the music for me sort of interwined aspects of the book together, it was also a common ground for both the reader and the characters. I think music really brought out the emotional part of SAVING JUNE.

Overall, the author beautifully puts together loss, struggle and music and writes a masterpiece which highlights aspects of life that people face and gives the reader a sense of hope for everyone. I even shed a few tears at the end.

Rating:
5/5

Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin for the arc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.